CANARI’s mission is promoting and facilitating equitable participation and effective collaboration in the management of natural resources critical to development in the Caribbean islands, so that people will have a better quality of life and natural resources will be conserved, through action learning and research, capacity building, communication and fostering partnerships.
A Caribbean people committed to responsibility and stewardship for natural and cultural resources through governance founded on equitable and effective participation aimed at improving the quality of life for Caribbean people.
CANARI operates from a very strong foundation of core values:
- Diversity: We value and respect diversity in people, cultures, perspectives, languages, social systems. We seek to use diverse approaches in our work.
- Accountability: We are accountable to all of our stakeholders for results and processes used in our work.
- Equity: We seek to overcome power imbalances and ensure fairness, including in our internal working environment and participatory management approach.
- Excellence: We strive constantly to ensure a high standard of our work.
- Empowerment: We support self-organisation and building the voice of stakeholders.
- Innovation: We are flexible, adaptive, creative, and constantly seek to use new cutting-edge approaches in our work.
- Partnership: We are committed to meaningful collaboration with others.
- Integrity: We are committed to be honest and upright in all of our work.
- Respect and trust: We respect the value of all forms of knowledge, including traditional and local knowledge. We respect the rights of all stakeholders to participate in natural resource management. Building trust is an essential component of our work.
- Self-reflection and learning: We practice continuous reflection and learning in our programmes as well as our internal systems.
- Adaptability and resilience: We implement lessons learnt in an adaptive management approach and focus on building resilience in working with others.
Links to Who We Are pages
Links to other About Us Pages
Links to documents
- CANARI brochure (English, French, Spanish)
- Strategic Plan 2011-2016 (English, French, Spanish)
- Annual Report (2011-2012), (2012-2013), (2013-2014), (2014-2015), (2015-2016)
- CANARI Case Study (English, French, Spanish)