Support to Christian Aid Caribbean on its Caribbean Climate Change Strategy
In 2009, CANARI agreed to collaborate with Christian Aid Caribbean on its climate change strategy for the region and to provide technical assistance for building the capacity of Christian Aid’s civil society partners in Jamaica, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
The primary goal of the collaboration with CANARI is to strengthen these partners’ understanding of climate change and its impacts on the region, and to identify roles that civil society can play at the local, national and regional level in building public awareness and local capacity for adaptation.
CANARI was contracted to:
- develop five briefing papers for various target audiences:
- Climate Change and What it Means for the Caribbean
- Civil Society Countdown to Copenhagen: Caribbean Issues, Strategies and Negotiating Positions for COP 15
- Climate Change: What Caribbean Civil Society Can Do About it
- Climate Change: What Caribbean Businesses Can Do About it
- Climate Change: What Caribbean Governments Can Do About it
- develop a toolkit to help community and civil society organisations respond to climate change. It provides community leaders and members a general understanding of climate change and some ideas for action. Each community’s needs and context are different, so the ideas and tools presented in the toolkit are intended as a general guide and starting point for responding to climate change.
- facilitate a Regional Climate Change Forum “Strengthening the Voice of Caribbean Civil Society in Response to Climate Change”, at which participants developed regional and national frameworks for public awareness and advocacy (March 19-21, 2009) .
- Facilitate a national workshop in each of the countries:
- Jamaica (June 18-19, 2009)
- Dominican Republic (July 16-17, 2009)
- Haiti (to be determined)
For copies of the briefing papers or workshop reports, contact Gail Hoad of Christian Aid at GHoad@christian-aid.org. See also Christian Aid’s website at http:// www.christianaid.org.uk
back to main page (Technical Assistance) >>